Sunday, July 18, 2010

2: Emily's Wuthering Heights

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

At first, I wasn't very interested in reading Wuthering Heights: all that I knew of the plot were the words "Heathcliff", "moors", "ghost", and most glaringly, "romance". That last one really turned me off, as I eschew romances in the contemporary sense of the word. However, I've come to understand that "romance" was what novels used to be called, perhaps even as recent as the Brontes' day. And the only copy of Jane Eyre that I could find at the library also contained Wuthering Heights and Agnes Grey. So I figured, why not just read all three of them?

Thus far, I have not regretted that decision. The first chapter of Wuthering Heights was a little confusing for me, so it took some time to get into the story. However, within the first five chapters I was immediately swept into the drama of the Earnshaw and Linton families, and of course Heathcliff, the infamous ruffian himself. Unlike Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights is a legit page-turner: I wanted to just keep on reading until I found out what happened next. The vast majority of the story is told within an external narrative (the housekeeper, who has witnessed all of this, tells the tenant Mr. Lockwood, who is the narrator of the novel), which creates an interesting perspective, as in a way we hear from all sides of the story. And it makes the characters' true motivations shrouded in mystery and intrigue, which creates great drama.

The novel's strongest point, though, is its characters. They are so tragic and complex, and all of them just about unlikeable--especially Heathcliffs Sr. and Jr.--at one point or another. Yet you can't help but like them, for all their flaws and redeeming qualities. Even though I knew that Catherine and Heathcliff may not have had a perfect fairy-tale ending to their romance, had they pursued it, I wanted them to be together, and became convinced that the tragedy of Shakespearean proportions that followed their separation could have been prevented, if they didn't deny their feelings. I was angry and frustrated near the end when Catherine Jr. fell into Heathcliff's trap of greed and misery, but was so happy that she had found love with Hareton after all, and would be happy again.
I was even on Heathcliff's side, in spite of all the horrible things that he did in his lifetime. After reading his backstory, I understood his anger and sorrow, and couldn't help but think up responses on his behalf when Mrs. Dean (the real narrator of the actual story) made disparaging comments about him. Even though if I knew a guy like Heathcliff, I wouldn't like him at all. He's not a jerk--he's a misunderstood jerk.

Plus, there's ghosts in it. And that makes just about any story better.

I have hardly a negative thing to say about Emily Bronte's masterpiece. The ending was quite satisfying (and fitting), the characters didn't ramble on all that much, the plot was riveting, and the characters were richly developed, depicted in both sympathetic and unsympathetic lights. Even though the story was tragic, there's even a kind-of-happy end to the whole thing. Quite simply, I loved it, from page one, on. Five stars out of five, and I recommend it to EVERYONE!

Last, but not least: Agnes Grey, by youngest sister Anne!

No comments:

Post a Comment